Friday, May 22, 2009

B.L.O.C.K.

Have you ever had so much to write that nothing comes out? You know what I'm talking about. Your mind is cranking at a bazillion miles an hour, you're uber-excited about all of the new developments in your story and as sooon as you sit down to let the magic flow, THUD.


Nothing.


Nada.


Zilch-o.


Not a sentence. Not a word. Not even a friggin' syllable.


What do you do when you hit the wall? How do you manage to push past the THUD so that the fantastic story living in your head actually materializes?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I completely understand! It's almost like there is a buzz of electricity running its course through me, I'm too excited with ideas to write. What helps me is to pace. I get up pace around the room or house, sit back down, write a word, any word, and then I take some deep breaths. This seems to calm me down, but not always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent experienced the thud yet, but I know that day arrives for every writer. I saw you're a PB love like me. :) When I do THUD I'll grab some Reeses cups and wait for the sugar rush to inspire me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say don't force it. Write whatever does come, even if it's not really what you want your story to be. Just getting started will help it all flow. A lot of people say to write your first chapter knowing that you'll throw it out because it's all character backstory.

    I also read a lot of books about writing - I liked Donald Maas' book "Writing the Breakout Novel". That really helped me think bigger with my story.

    ReplyDelete